Solent University is an official sponsor of the Southampton Mela Festival and this year’s festival goers will be able to immerse themselves in all things Solent as, for the first time ever, the institution introduces their Pop Up University to the festival.
Solent’s annual Pop-Up University showcases the wide range of real-world learning courses on offer at the university through fun, engaging and interactive stalls.
The Pop-Up University has a number of specific aims and objectives all focussed on widening participation in Higher Education amongst specific localities within the city of Southampton.
The event’s objectives are to:
- Collaborate with local community groups in order to contribute to their cultural, artistic, sporting, and educational progression and provide opportunities to engage in learning and aspiration raising activities.
- To increase awareness of education pathways including Higher Education and empower young and mature learners to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Through large scale pop ups and a series of information talks the overall outcome of the programme is to support the city’s efforts to increase the social capital of its residents.
Local residents will have the opportunity to:
- Gain an understanding about the benefits of university.
- Find out about life as a student
- Experience first-hand a selection of the courses available at Solent
- (Where they have parental responsibility, be confident in engaging their children in discussions around university.
In addition to Solent’s interactive demonstrations and information stalls the University are also offering registered attendees of the Pop Up the chance to win a family Paulton’s Park ticket worth over £150.00!
Find out more about Solent University Southampton HERE
Join us for the Southampton Mela Festival 2023 on Saturday 15th July from 12noon – 9pm at Hoglands Park, Southampton SO14 1JZ – FREE ADMISSION all day.